Dreaming about moving into a new home? Some buyers already know what they want in a house, while others need some help figuring out what they need.
What you need and want in a home would become more defined as you get closer and closer to the actual buying process.
Set your expectations to narrow down your search. This is a must so you don’t get caught up by marketing gimmicks and lose sight of what’s really right for you.
5 Things Buyers Must Consider When Looking For Their Dream Home
1. Budget. Browsing through listing photos can be exciting. Before you seriously consider a property, however, it’s important to be clear about your budget. An ideal home isn’t one that will break the bank. Remember: you would also need to be pre-approved for a mortgage before starting your search. This way, you can take immediate action when you finally zero in on the best house to buy. Set aside funds for renovations, moving, and other bills that you might incur along the way. Having a defined budget will narrow your search for properties to consider.
2. Location. Location is another top consideration when home-searching because it’s one feature of your house that you cannot change or restructure. Go beyond choosing an urban or suburban location. Determine your type of neighborhood and its proximity to the spots that you will visit most. Here are a few areas to consider:
- Schools should be one of the prime considerations of a relocating family. If your kids are still going to school, research the educational institutions in your area as well as their proximity to your target neighborhoods.
- Place of work is another important factor to think about. The closer the work address, the better.
- Downtown is where you’ll get access to restaurants, entertainment spots, and shopping destinations. Is it important for you and your family to live close to downtown? Do you prefer to live somewhere quieter?
3. Property Size. The size and floorplan of the ideal home would greatly be influenced by your preferences and budget. However, the following factors should also be taken into account:
- Long-term plans. Are you single and planning to be living by yourself? Are you a growing family? If your household is growing, look for a place with plenty of rooms and spaces to accommodate your changing needs. If you have kids who will be moving out soon, a house with fewer rooms might be more feasible.
- Home office. Do you work from home? Are you homeschooling your kids? Find a house where you can have a separate space for work or studying to avoid distractions and maintain boundaries.
- Personal favorites. Think of your favorite area of your home. It could be a garden, a cozy reading nook, a coffee bar, or a place where you can house your collection of wine, books, or other memorabilia. Find a house where you can have spaces that can easily be converted into your must-have spots.
- Bedroom and Bathroom. When searching for a property, make sure the number and location of the bedrooms and bathrooms in the house match your needs and preferences.
4. House Exterior. The house exterior is the face of your home. It is what you will first see upon coming home and the first thing that will greet visiting guests. So, carefully consider your house exterior. Do you like rectangular or square houses with the door at the exact center? Colonial-style homes would fit your taste. Do you like a charming house with a porch and gabled roofs? Then, a cottage-style house will be more to your liking.
5. Outdoor Space. Homebuyers of 2021 are into outdoor spaces. Check out Why People Are Relocating to Elk Grove. With an outdoor space, you can grow your own garden, have an outdoor pool, a spacious garage, or a playground for your kids. If you want to have these things as part of your new home, look for a property that gives you great outdoor space. It will give you more opportunities to add your personal touches to your new home.
Finding your new home can be exciting but it can also get overwhelming. Narrow down your search by adding these features to your list.
Get in touch with us to find and close on your dream home!